Job Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Café Manager
Locations: West Lafayette
Copper Moon Coffee is a commercial coffee roastery in Lafayette, Indiana. We source, roast, package, and ship coffee for customers all over the country. Our customers include those in wholesale, retail, and online markets. We also brew and serve our out-of-this-world coffee at several world-class cafés in Lafayette and West Lafayette.
The Café Assistant Manager is responsible for the success of Copper Moon Coffee by assisting the Café Manager in executing store operations. They provide supervision to create and maintain the Copper Moon experience for our customers, and they are responsible for modeling and acting in accordance with Copper Moon’s best business practices and in a professional manner.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and accurately in order to ensure effective store operations.
- Filters communication to the shift team as directed by the Café Manager.
- Contributes to positive team environment by recognizing alarms or changes in creator morale and performance and communicating them to the Café Manager.
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Copper Moon Coffee.
- Maintains and models a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events; continues to keep store operating to standard and sets a positive example for the shift team.
- Engages in conversation with customers to understand customer needs and the needs of the community in which the store is located.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Models a customer comes first attitude, delivers legendary customer service, and supervises creators to ensure they are delivering legendary customer service.
- Reviews store environment and key business indicators to identify problems, concerns and opportunities for improvement in order to provide coaching and direction to the shift team to achieve operational goals.
- Communicates ideas to the Café Manager for broader areas of improvement.
- Supports Café Manager in implementing company programs by working directly with shift team to execute action plans that meet operational and organization objectives.
- Supports store operations by recognizing and reinforcing individual and team accomplishments through existing organizational tools and makes recommendations to Café Manager on new, creative, and impactful methods of recognition.
- Utilizes and provides direction to creators during their shift on the use of operational tools to achieve operational excellence.
- Acts as a coach and mentor to creators by using discretion in assessing performance, providing feedback and coaching to improve performance, and effectively recommending employment decisions to Café Manager.
This job operates in a fast-pace café environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to act with a customer comes first attitude and exceeds customer expectations.
- Ability to use discretion in providing direction to others.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Team-building skills; creates a team environment that is positive and productive.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment.
Education & Experience
- Progressively responsible retail experience.
- Customer service experience in a retail or restaurant environment.
- Experience in directing the work of others.
- Knowledge of SCAA protocols and SCAA Barista certified or pursuing Certification.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to life 25 pounds.
- Ability to carry 25 pounds.